[Twisted-Python] Win32 fix for twisted/internet/tcp.py

Joe Cotroneo joe at neosource.com.au
Fri Jun 23 21:18:34 EDT 2006

Hi Jean-Paul,

I'm running Python 2.4.1 and Windows XP SP2.

I hadn't really tried any twisted apps on my Windows PC beforehand.

Joe
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:32:53 -0400
From: Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>
Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Win32 fix for twisted/internet/tcp.py

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:12:57 +1000, Joe Cotroneo <joe at neosource.com.au> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I just downloaded the twisted words package, and tried the ircLogBot.py sample.
>
>It came up with an error on my Win32 box, but worked fine on my linux box.
>
>The error on win32 was due to the following line 512 in twisted/internet/tcp.py:
>
>r, w, e = select.select([], [], [self.fileno()], 0.0)
>
>The select module on Win32 doesn't accept empty read/write handles, so it generated an 'invalid argument' exception.
>
>I changed line 512 to the following, and the sample now works on win32.
>
>r, w, e = select.select([self.fileno()], [self.fileno()], [self.fileno()], 0.0)
>
>P.S: I used Twisted 2.4.0 and twisted words 0.3.0
>
>Hope you find my report useful, even if win32 bugs aren't a priority ;)

What version of Python and Windows?  I wouldn't expect any Twisted
application to run on a machine where that line unconditionally
raises an exception, but clearly some does.  Does anything else work
for you?

Jean-Paul