[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r17325 - merge sob-491, fixes #491

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at mac.com
Wed Jun 21 14:49:50 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:32:52 -0500, Cory Dodt <corydodt at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> I'll start by apologizing for the tone of my message, and I am aware
> that I
> was being chastising.  JP is just doing his job.  JP, I have the utmost
> respect for you and what you do for Twisted, which is far more than I
> have
> space to enumerate in this email.

Hear hear.  I don't think anyone really interpreted you as denying JP his
deserved respect, but it never hurts to remind people that you respect
them.

[snip]

> It changes the tone of a project when Twisted.Quotes stops being updated
> but
> the list of policy updates keeps growing and growing and growing without
> warning.

Well, to me, when a project moves away from frequent updates to the very
amusing Quotes file, and towards policies and procedures, it means that
the project is maturing and recognizing that a broader audience requires
such steps.  The ecosystem may no longer be as fun for many of the people
who were in at the beginning, but I consider this a change for the better,
whereas you see it as a change for the worse.

Different strokes, I guess.

> My last email contains suggestions of some better ways to handle this.

Those suggestions look fine to me, as a person who files a ticket now and
again, and once in a great while posts a patch.  That said, I also feel
that as a very minimal contributor, it doesn't behoove me to take offense
when overworked full-time contributors are terse in their communications.

L. Daniel Burr