[Twisted-Python] twisted threads: synchronous function calls

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Tue Jun 20 16:08:13 EDT 2006

> From: Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> On Tue, Jun 20,
> 2006 at 03:52:28PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote: [...]
>> Now, I might have missed something, but that's sure functionality
>> which Twisted should provide.
> See http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1042
> It has code for a function that does the same basic thing that yours
> does, but with a bit more polish, e.g. if the result is a Deferred,
> it won't wake the calling thread until the Deferred has a result, and
> it handles exceptions.
> It just needs someone to write some tests and docs, and then it can
> be merged. The function in that issue has actually been used by a few
> people, so it seems to do the job.

I liked Andrew's idea and incorporated the code of his ticket into my
syncbridge module, which I'm using as part of my sAsync package,

In addition to the topic here, the syncbridge module expands
considerably on the theme of queuing up synchronous tasks. It took a
*lot* of work to get the synchronous/asynchronous interface debugged and
free (apparently) of race conditions. And it has a pretty complete suite
of unit tests, although there's just one test for this particular method
right now.

The sAsync package is GPL, but I just re-licensed the syncbridge module
itself to MIT in hopes of getting Glyph to accept it into Twisted. See
ticket http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1768.

Best regards, Ed