[Twisted-Python] recommended twisted database coding

Terry Jones terry at jon.es
Tue Jun 13 10:23:43 EDT 2006

>>>>> "Jesus" == Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> writes:

Jesus> I recomend you "durus"
Jesus> (http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/durus/) and, depending of
Jesus> your usage profile, my storage backend:
Jesus> <http://www.argo.es/~jcea/programacion/durus-berkeleydbstorage.htm>

Jesus> Yes, durus supports transactions.
Jesus> Durus is not async, but wrapping it in a thread should be easy enough.
Jesus> I'm fairly involved with Durus, so I could help you there.

Hi Jesus

Thanks for the info.  I think I've seen Durus before, but was not aware
that you had implemented a BSD backend. Does that mean the qualification on
the Durus home page "Durus is best suited to collections of less than a
million instances with relatively stable state." does not apply here?

After looking around at some Pyhon persistence options, I decided to use
ZODB. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on Durus+BSD versus ZODB. I was
disappointed to see that ZODB had dropped BSD as a backend as BSD is battle
hardened and I wanted to use its secondary DBs. BTW, I had no reply to
email sent to greg at electricrain.com, the maintainer of the Python bsddb
interface. I presume you are using that code? Anyway, I am using the BTrees
provided by ZCatalog in Zope. Apart from things like robustness, speed, and
number of objects I could store, I very much wanted to avoid having
multiple persistence systems. Using ZODB makes this very easy. It sounds
like you have that advantage too.

How well supported is Durus? What about your interface?

Are you in Spain? We can discuss that offline I guess.

Regards,
Terry