[Twisted-Python] Twisted n00b question

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Mon Jan 23 17:01:17 EST 2006

Hello -

I'm completely new to Twisted and moderately (~1 year) experienced
with Python, and I'm here because I need some help understanding how
to set up a web proxy.

My goal: an HTTP proxy living on my local machine (OS X) that will
transparently serve up web pages  to myself, while allowing me to
snoop & log connections I make to remote servers. I want the
equivalent of an Attention Trust recorder (http://
www.attentiontrust.org/services) without having to use Firefox.

My first attempt: using the demonstration service.tac as a starting
point, I wrote a new Resource that can view the request. I got far
enough to look inside the request object passed to my resource's
render() method, and return a meaningful response showing that I was
seeing accurate request information. So in that render() method, I
generate a new HTTPClientFactory object which *should* be able to
make a request the intended server and return the results. I stopped
when I realized the documentation showed examples using reactor.run
(), while advising that I should never actually use reactor.run() in
a real app. So I'm stuck trying to  generate a new http client
request while inside an http server.

My second attempt: I found the Proxy class in the twisted.web docs,
which has this code snippet:

    from twisted.protocols import http
    f = http.HTTPFactory()
    f.protocol = Proxy

...which is great, but I'm now I'm not sure what I need to do with
the "f" object to make it work in a .tac/twistd context. It seems
like should be able to add a callback in there someplace to intercept
the proxied requests and pick them apart, but I'm a little stuck.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or examples that may help.

-mike.

michal migurski- mike at stamen.com
                  415.558.1610