[Twisted-Python] Simple OSCAR Bot

pokerface pokerface at tacticalgamer.com
Mon Jan 16 07:36:19 EST 2006

Greetings, list.

I'm attempting to wrap my brain around Twisted for the purposes of
creating a simple OSCAR bot.  The purpose of this bot will be to send a
broadcast announcement to a mutable list of screennames to help with
admining gaming servers.

Every example I've seen of OSCAR bots has the bot log in and respond to
all sorts of messages that it gets sent, staying logeed in the entire
time.  My needs are simpler; the bot need only log in, send its messages,
and log right back out.  From what I can suss out, this would still
necessitate a connectTCP() call, but it doesn't need a reactor.run().  My
trouble is that I don't know exactly what it WOULD require beyond
connection (IE, where to put the sendMessage, whether to create callbacks,
etc. etc.).  I also don't quite know how I would pass different lists to
the bot class for the broadcast, but that's a secondary concern that I can
work around inefficiently if I have to (I think).

If someone knows of some keywords I'm missing for my google search, or if
they can otherwise point me in the direction of an example of what I'm
attempting to do, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you all for your time.

Sean