[Twisted-Python] Up to date Debian packages

Jason Mobarak jason at mobarak.name
Mon Jan 9 20:55:48 EST 2006

On 1/8/06, Paul G <paul-lists at perforge.com> wrote:
[...]
> i'm not sure about debs, since i don't do debian (no stone throwing before
> midday, please), but there are tools out there which will analyze the
> configure/make stage (or, in this case, the python setup.py install stage)
> and produce an rpm. this could be useful both in generating packages as part
> of the build process *and* for folks who prefer not to have hand-installed
> software on their production systems. this is what we use to manage software
> deployed in production on our redhat-derived boxen but for which there are
> no official rpms. i am also aware of tools which do this for slackware
> packages.

I'll mention one of these tools:

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/ (google for checkinstall,
or it's underlying hardware "installwatch")

(which is in Debian).  This generates rpms/debs/slackpacks from most
any software "install" phase.  However, the point of packages is more
finely defined with compiled code, even if you have a tool like this
you're still hand installing it, which can lead a host of problems
that are side stepped by packages.

,,Jason