[Twisted-Python] Up to date Debian packages

Paul G paul-lists at perforge.com
Sun Jan 8 19:07:18 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan Simon" <Brendan at BrendanSimon.com>
To: <twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Up to date Debian packages

> twisted-python-request at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>> Brendan Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an easy way to get precompiled versions of Twisted for Debian
>>> Sarge?
>>>

>> Hi, Brendan,
>> sorry, but this question is cute somehow - twisted is python - there's
>> nothing to compile  - if you need *.deb sooo much, the latest version in
>> unstable is 2.0.1-something, but it just can't be easier than
>> downloading the latest 2.1 tarball and just setting the
>> PYTHONPATH=/path/to/twisted, i don't know exactly, but i think even the
>> distutils ie. python setup.py install from the base dir should work,
>> another possible way is to copy the /twisted dir into the site-packages
>> one of your python installation manually. Please, do that, there's no
>> need for debs, really !! :)
>>
> Thanks for that.  I will do as you suggest.
> Yes, I used the phrase "precompiled" out of habit.  It should have read
> "pre-packaged" :)
>
> Debs (and possibly rpms) are still useful.  For instance, if I want to
> uninstall a package I just type:
>    aptitude remove python-twisted
>
> Or once my /etc/apt/sources.list is pointing to the right place:
>    aptitude update ; aptitude upgrade
> will keep my packages up to date with the latest security fixes and
> updated packages, etc.  Things are stored in the "right" place for all
> users.
>
> Since no compilation is involved, it should be easy to modify the build
> system to generate .deb and .rpm files.  The deb and rpm maintainers (are
> they on this list?) would already have the infrastructure in place so it
> would be easy to port.  To me it makes some sense if the upstream package
> vendors generate the debs and rpms, but I can see they would not, and
> could not, generate packages for every OS and architecture.  Maybe just
> the source packages, then the OS vendors could generate the binary
> packages for each arch.

i'm not sure about debs, since i don't do debian (no stone throwing before
midday, please), but there are tools out there which will analyze the
configure/make stage (or, in this case, the python setup.py install stage)
and produce an rpm. this could be useful both in generating packages as part
of the build process *and* for folks who prefer not to have hand-installed
software on their production systems. this is what we use to manage software
deployed in production on our redhat-derived boxen but for which there are
no official rpms. i am also aware of tools which do this for slackware
packages.

-p