[Twisted-Python] Up to date Debian packages

Brendan Simon Brendan at BrendanSimon.com
Sun Jan 8 18:43:05 EST 2006

twisted-python-request at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
> Brendan Simon wrote:
>
>> Is there an easy way to get precompiled versions of Twisted for Debian
>> Sarge?
>>

> Hi, Brendan,
> sorry, but this question is cute somehow - twisted is python - there's
> nothing to compile  - if you need *.deb sooo much, the latest version in
> unstable is 2.0.1-something, but it just can't be easier than
> downloading the latest 2.1 tarball and just setting the
> PYTHONPATH=/path/to/twisted, i don't know exactly, but i think even the
> distutils ie. python setup.py install from the base dir should work,
> another possible way is to copy the /twisted dir into the site-packages
> one of your python installation manually. Please, do that, there's no
> need for debs, really !! :)

Thanks for that.  I will do as you suggest.
Yes, I used the phrase "precompiled" out of habit.  It should have read
"pre-packaged" :)

Debs (and possibly rpms) are still useful.  For instance, if I want to
uninstall a package I just type:
    aptitude remove python-twisted

Or once my /etc/apt/sources.list is pointing to the right place:
    aptitude update ; aptitude upgrade
will keep my packages up to date with the latest security fixes and
updated packages, etc.  Things are stored in the "right" place for all
users.

Since no compilation is involved, it should be easy to modify the build
system to generate .deb and .rpm files.  The deb and rpm maintainers
(are they on this list?) would already have the infrastructure in place
so it would be easy to port.  To me it makes some sense if the upstream
package vendors generate the debs and rpms, but I can see they would
not, and could not, generate packages for every OS and architecture.
Maybe just the source packages, then the OS vendors could generate the
binary packages for each arch.

Cheers,
Brendan.