[Twisted-Python] Triggering callbacks on raw file descriptors

Brian Granger bgranger at scu.edu
Sat Jan 7 13:14:26 EST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to integrate an external networking library that is
asynchronous into a Twisted app (Apple's Bonjour for those
interested).  The library is setup for use in a select loop.  The
library is responsible for all the actual network things (like
creating the connection, reading and writing to it.  The only thing I
need to do is register the socket's file descriptor with the twisted
reactor and have some callback triggered when it is _ready_ for
reading/writing.

Digging around the source code, it looks like the FileDescriptor that
Port inherits from would be a good starting point.  But as I
understand it FileDescriptor is abstract.  Is it as simple as
inheriting from FileDescriptor and providing the fd that I get from
Bonjour?  How do I specify callbacks to trigger when the fd is
readable/writable?

Anything I am missing in this picture.

I will gladly share my code if I get Apple's Bonjour implementation
working with twisted.

Cheers,

Brian