[Twisted-Python] Multicast XMLRPC

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Aug 25 17:18:09 EDT 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:37:30 -0400, "Chaz." <eprparadocs at gmail.com> wrote:
>glyph at divmod.com wrote:

>I guess I will have to switch to PB from XML-RPC.

Not necessarily.  PB is more bandwidth-efficient but there are fewer tools to work with it, so marshalling complex data structures can be quite slow.  If you have small messages and a non-HTTP transport the differences may be negligible.

I was mainly using it as an example of a different possible vector of optimization.

>XML-RPC was convenient
>since I could write client apps in just about any language and access the
>system.

This convenience may well outweigh any real performance gain from using PB.

>I know it is difficult in passing things between Python and anything else.
>Do you have any words of wisdom on how to limit the problems so that non-
>Python apps could talk to a PB enabled server?

Nope.  You'd have to re-implement it.  If multilanguage access is a significant concern than PB is unlikely to be a good choice.