[Twisted-Python] Multicast XMLRPC

Chaz. eprparadocs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 13:07:49 EDT 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:05:50 -0400, "Chaz." <eprparadocs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Samuel Reynolds wrote:
>>>
>>> This is an incomplete statement of the problem.
>>> To get assistance you need to more fully
>>> state the problem you're trying to solve.
>>>
>>> What are you trying to accomplish?
>>> 1. Are you...
>>>    a. sending data *to* each processor from a central server
>>>       (e.g., configuration data)?
>>>    b. retrieving data *from* each processor for
>>>       display/processing at a central server
>>>       (e.g., status information)?
>>>    c. both?
>>> 2. How often do you need to send/receive the data?
>>> 3. How much latency is acceptable?
>>> 4. How much data loss is acceptable?
>>
>> Since the title of the email is Multicast XML-RPC I would say I was
>> pretty specific. I need to send XML-RPC requests to thousands of
>> machines, something that can't be done using a connection oriented
>> protocol via TCP very efficiently.
>>
>> Chaz.
>>

> Multicast is a choice for a solution to a problem.  So is "sending XML-RPC
> requests to thousands of machines".  Neither are themselves descriptions
> of a problem; rather, they are descriptions of a solution.
>
> Sam is asking for more information about the problem you are trying to
> solve.
>
> Jean-Paul

I will state what I thought was obvious: I need to make "calls" to
thousands of machines to do something. I want to minimize the overhead
both of making the call and the machines sending back the responses.

On the invoking side I believe multicast or broadcast is the way to go
since I can send out one message and hit them all. On the response side
I need a low-overhead protocol.

TCP is pretty resource intensive so I need something else. I think a
reliable datagram service on top of some underlying transport is the way
to go (on top of multicast/broadcast/IP is what I am thinking about).

I think this describes the problem well.

Chaz