[Twisted-Python] .tap and twistd and persistence

Matt Feifarek matt.feifarek+twisted at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 18:56:10 EDT 2006

I've been using twisted for a couple of years, and am re-writing my
application yet-again to make it even more twisty, so I'm trying to use the
persistence mechanisms that come from services and applications, and I have
hit a snag.

I've conformed my application to the details of the tutorial in the docs
(and I see the demonstrated method of making a 'plugin' is deprecated, and I
get that message after registering my app and running mktap).

First question:
The deprecation warning tells me to look in twisted.plugin... but I don't
see much in the way of docs in there. Where can I learn what I should do?

Second question:
Even though I'm using a fresh Twisted 2.2, installed from the tarball, I
don't have any manpages... not for mktap or twistd, so the docs tell me to
look in the manpage, but I can't (I'm on Ubuntu Breezy, FWIW). I see the man
files themselves in my twisted source distribution, but they don't appear to
be installed when I install twisted.

Third question:
I'm able to make a .tap file, run it, and send it ^C to shut it down. I get
the [app]-shutdown.tap file, but when I try to run that file with 'twistd -f
wrangler-shutdown.tap' I get a problem with the re-building of my objects.
There's an attribute error, from one of the classes that's a part of my
application.

Do I have to write my application in some way to get it to persist and
unpersist properly? There's nothing in my app that isn't pickle-able... it's
just instances and dictionaries, nothing like open files or database
connections.

Thanks!