[Twisted-Python] PB v XMLRPC v CORBA v SOAP

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-twisted-python at mithrandi.za.net
Mon Apr 10 07:07:43 EDT 2006

* Brendan Simon <Brendan at BrendanSimon.com> [2006-04-10 20:28:44 +1000]:

> One big question for me is portability, such that other clients written
> in other languages could access the same data.  I'm thinking that all
> technologies would have this property _except_ for PB.  Is that
> correct?  i.e. could a C, perl or ruby application access my server if
> the server was written using Twisted PB ???

PB support outside of Python is pretty minimal. I believe there may be a
Java implementation still floating around somewhere, but I'm not sure
how up to date it is, or whether it is even still functional.

> If not would anyone recommend SOAP or XMLRPC instead??

I would recommend transferring plain custom XML documents over HTTP,
rather than introducing an extra layer of pain with SOAP or XML-RPC.

> Also, it would be nice if I could use any transport mechanism to send
> the commands.  eg. http, https, ssh, rsh.  Can Twisted be used to
> provide such a generic transport mechanism?  If not would, SOAP or
> XMLRPC be better choices, or is the question of transport irrelevant.

I believe SOAP and XML-RPC are only defined over HTTP (including https,
because that's more or less an extra layer underneath it). I'm not sure
there's any value in transmitting SOAP/XML-RPC XML documents over
something like ssh.