[Twisted-Python] twisted.vfs issues

Screwtape screwtape at froup.com
Wed Sep 28 19:42:51 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:49:04AM +1000, Andy Gayton wrote:
> James Y Knight wrote:
> >6) Need some support in the interface for extended attributes.
>
> There's getMetadata. That let's you return arbitrary attributes.

As a know-nothing bystander with just enough knowledge about metadata,
I'm curious. Is there a way to get a list of the kinds of metadata that
are available? Is there a name-spacing system so different kinds of
metadata can be available under different names? For example, a WebDAV
share might (should) expose a 'Content-Type' attribute on every file,
so code might be written that exposes the MIME type of the file in the
'Content-Type' attribute. On the other hand, a file on an NTFS file
system can have arbitarily-named bytestreams associated with it. If the
NTFS VFS module exposes byte-streams under their arbitary names,
a program using the VFS could try to get the content type of a file and
wind up with (several gigabytes of) almost anything.

Another arbitary-metadata system that would be nice to support would be
POSIX extended attributes, but I don't know what the name restrictions
on those would be.