[Twisted-Python] Hints for twisted newbie presentation

Justin Warren daedalus at eigenmagic.com
Sun Sep 18 20:58:25 EDT 2005

Hi list,

In a fit of rash volunteerism, I offered to give a talk on Twisted at
the upcoming Open Source Developers Conference here in melbourne.au. I
gave a hastily thrown together talk at the local Python user's group a
couple of months back (wiki linkage:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/MelbournePUG ) but I'd like to refine it a
fair bit before presenting to a wider audience. I'm also most familiar
with v1.3 rather than the newish v2.0.

What do people think are the most important things that a newbie to
Twisted should know about? I'm trying to focus on those little things
that spark an Aha! moment where you really how cool something is and
think "Why didn't I do this ages ago?" For me that was finally grokking
Deferreds and the whole asynchronous event processing style of doing
things as compared to threading.

What are the things you wish someone had told you about early on in
learning Twisted? What are the biggest timesavers for you? What do you
think is the most powerful?

Any help would be much appreciated, since I'm just a twisted-weenie
compared to a lot of you folks on list.

As an aside, awesome cover for the upcoming O'Reilly book. :)

--
Justin Warren <daedalus at eigenmagic.com>