[Twisted-Python] threadedselectreactor and twistd

David E. Konerding DSD staff dekonerding at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 13 13:00:58 EDT 2005

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 17:39 +0200, Stefano Masini wrote:
>

>>using twisted with GUIs is not trivial, and I found it quite tricky.
>>But in the end it's possible and in fact I do it all the time. Here's
>>the best solution I could find so far, using wxPython:
>>
>>1) Run wxPython in the main thread
>>2) Run twisted reactor in a secondary thread
>>3) Have special proxy objects that bridge calls from gui code (running
>>in one thread) and network code (running inside another)
>>

>threadedselectreactor is probably much easier than doing this.

Do you guys plan on making a release of Twisted that contains
threadedselectreactor?
One of the reasons I hate using it is that every time I want to develop
on a Windows box,
I have to grab the free Visual Studio compiler, a bunch of SDKs, patch
distutils
to support the free compiler, compile Zope.Interface and Twisted just to
use the
threadedselectreactor.

It's been working really well for us, by the way.

Dave