[Twisted-Python] Welcome (and some questions)

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Sat Sep 10 18:37:19 EDT 2005

As it is my first post to the list, I would like to make
thanks to all the people who created twisted. Great
framework with many useful features. Thank you very much.

I have also some questions, thanks in advance for any hints.

1) Which logging method is recommended for twisted
applications? Python logging package? Some method present in
twisted itself? Something else?

2) What database access method is recommended? If I
understand correctly it would be good idea to execute
database access code in many short steps, deferring from
time to time. Which database API support this way best, are
there any code examples available?

3) So far I code using 'low level twisted' and run my
application as standalone python script. I understand that
it is recommended to migrate to 'application/service' API
and use twistd to run application. Unfortunately I find it
difficult to fully understand documentation on this subject,
probably partially because my  application is not TCP/IP
server, but rather TCP/IP client (in fact it is some kind of
bot using telnet connection to game server). Does it make
sense to use application and service concept in such
situation? If so, how could the code look like? Currently my
'main' code looks so:

     reactor.connectTCP(HOST, PORT, MyFactory(...))
     reactor.run()

4) Is twisted documentation available anywhere in the form
of MsHelp file (I saw a lot of Python documentation
converted this way, it is nice as one can easily find
information by text search)?

5) Does there exist example of twisted application with
wxpython GUI?

6) And in general, are there any twisted documentation
sources (tutorials, examples, whatever) apart from those
distributed from twistedmatrix.com?

         Best regards
             Marcin