[Twisted-Python] Re: Disabling PB (de)serialization

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Fri Sep 9 05:13:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 19:07 -0700, Brian Warner wrote:
> So most of the data is opaque VNC blobs? What kind of a size-histogram are we
> talking about? Or is this a python implementation of the VNC protocol?

No, not a Python implementation, just opaque VNC blobs. I'm in the
middle of a rewrite, so I've thoroughly broken it, but I'll get it to
you as soon as I can.

> FYI, newpb is scheduled to have an opportunistic string-caching scheme in
> which any string that gets sent over the wire more than a couple times gets
> replaced by a VOCAB token with a number. The idea is to compress all the
> standard internal PB sequences (like "list", "tuple", "my-reference", "call")
> into short two-byte tokens, and for the sender to decide which strings get
> tokenized these ways (there will be a special sequence that adds/removes
> things from the receiver's mapping). Incidentally, oldpb used a "dialect"
> number (of which there was only one) which indicated a static list of strings
> to tokenize this way.

Ooh, the tokenization sounds sweet. I'm looking forward to trying it
out. On another note, I'm thinking that if newpb could be
super-duper-fastoid, I'd be pleased to use it for file transfers, too.
Just grab a chunk of data of some arbitrary size, send it, repeat. Maybe
rzip it beforehand, maybe not.

Steve