[Twisted-Python] How to force synchronous behavior

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Sun Oct 30 06:48:05 EST 2005

On Sunday 30 October 2005 06:31, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> It's not so much that "K" is doing something dumb (for reference: we are
> not talking about the successor to J, which is itself a successor to APL).
>  With a project like "K", there would be as much focus on explaining
> correct usage of generators as there is in Twisted focusing on correct
> usage of Deferreds.  It would be hard to write a program using "K" and not
> understand the ramifications of what you're doing.

It does seem to be the case, yes.

> I looked at "K".  Reading code in it was powerfully weird - and this is
> coming from the author of Twisted ;-).

Great :-) Can I quote you on that? :-D

Seriously though, I did kinda expect that. I suspect the two different ways
of writing code will be easier to different sorts of people. Personally I find
the approach natural and normal. You can take any implication you like
from that ;-)

> It was enough like Erlang that it would only make things easy for experts,
> so I don't think that it would lead to this problem - on the other hand, I
> haven't seen how large communities react to it.

Interesting viewpoint. KInda at odds with what we've seen so far, but then we
haven't had a large community react to it yet, there's also the caveat above
of it might be a mindset thing rather than skill level this, and mainly at
the moment I don't think it's ready for a large community yet* - if one's
appropriate (We're still in the process of finding the best way of writing
systems using it).
   * We're not in a rush

FWIW, it's more inspired by things which /aren't/ Erlang. I've not written
anything in Erlang :)

If it turns out though that you're right - only makes things easy for
experts - then the project's failed (which won't be a problem, that's
the point of research to try things and see what works/doesn't, just
means I have to try again). As a result I hope you're wrong (for
once :).

Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,

Michael.