separate trial release (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Twisted Jabber

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Oct 25 21:23:53 EDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:44:14 +1100, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> wrote:

>Do you think a build-time dependency is enough to keep Trial within core?

It's not just build-time.

Once you've installed Twisted in a particular environment, trial helps you determine if it's *installed* properly.  If chunks have fallen off of your tarball at some point, trial will alert you to this by failing a bunch of tests.  It's that dependency which keeps me leaning towards "yes".

That said, I'm still undecided - trial is definitely making a lot of progress lately and the rationale of the split was to keep projects like this unconstrained by core's need for stability.