separate trial release (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Twisted Jabber

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Oct 25 03:04:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:42:24 +1000, Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> wrote:

>The fact that Trial is so clearly of use to other projects in exactly the
>same way that it's of use to core is another reason to have it seperate.
>
>Trial and the rest of core are clearly developing at different rates, so
>there's possibly even some benefit from decoupling their releases.
>
>So I think if Jonathan wants to release it seperately, I'm happy to let him.

Overall I'm a bit reluctant to spin out more new projects right now, but this actually sounds like a pretty compelling case to me.

However, a point in JP's favor: there are source files distributed with core (twisted/test/*) that *import* code from Trial.  Test cases seem to be, in every sense, a bit of a gnarly special case.

Is there anything other than test cases where you think imports are *not* counted as a dependency?