[Twisted-Python] Freevo 2.0, Kamaelia, pyevent, Eventnet/LGT: what's going on?

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 20:38:00 EDT 2005

Moe Aboulkheir wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:10:03 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
>> [PB] is proprietary in the sense that it is, AFAIK, implemented only by
>> Twisted.
>
> here is a javascript implementation of PB: http://jspb.mozdev.org/.  and
> a java one: http://www.itamarst.org/software/twistedjava/.  there is
> also an objective caml port (cvs:
> cvs.twistedmatrix.com/cvs/TwistedOCaml).  probably more that i am not
> aware of.

In fairness to Antoine, those PB implementations are all by the Twisted
community, so although I disagree with his definition of "proprietary",
those aren't really counterexamples.

However, to me it is silly to criticize PB for having been invented
by the Twisted community and only (so far) having been implemented
there.  (BTW, there would probably be a Lisp implementation done
under NASA sponsorship if NASA was naive enough to trust me with
any more money -- which they don't! [U.S. taxpayers, be grateful!] ;)

I suspect that all worthwhile protocols begin life within a small
community of developers before being made into IETF RFC's or ISO stds
or whatever ... PB still has a little more maturing to do, although
it appears to be nearly ready for release into the wild (some might
say it's already living there ... :) to have more implementations.

Steve