[Twisted-Python] Subproject releases

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed Oct 12 22:26:52 EDT 2005

James Y Knight wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 1:49 AM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
>> The Divmod repository is now organized this way, and we have a tool
>> (Combinator) which keeps PYTHONPATH from exploding into a million
>> pieces that kill you.  For an example of this repository structure
>> see <http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk>.

> AFAIU, Combinator doesn't solve the problem of twisted.words,
> twisted.internet, and twisted.web being in separately distributed
> packages. Of course, that's "only" an issue while developing, because
> on install, you either use setuptools magic or else install  everything
> into the same directory hierarchy.

It doesn't directly, but the __init__.py hack that exists in
twisted.plugin already seems a little cleaner than the one you're using
there.  Using Combinator you have a Twisted.pth that sits at the top
level that says:

core
web2

(etc)

I can make another branch which re-organizes the repository using
Combinator; we could probably move Combinator into Twisted from the
Divmod repository, since it doesn't do too much and it doesn't rely on
any Divmod code (or Twisted, for that matter).

In spirit the organization you suggest is identical to mine, though, I
would just implement it a bit differently.

Chris makes an excellent point in an earlier post though.  Would this
reorganization have any detrimental effect upon the release process?