[Twisted-Python] Subproject releases

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 05:21:43 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Moof <moof at metamoof.net> wrote:
> Out of interest, How do these solutions relate to all the fancy metapackage
> stuff you can do with setuptools?

[a bunch of stuff about how cool setuptools is and the Python
community moving towards it]

To be frank, I am inclined to not touch another release-packaging
technology for at least a couple of months. I had a horrible
experience with zpkgtools before the 2.0 release, trying to fix it up
where it was insufficient for Twisted, just to eventually find out
that the benefit I was getting out of it could be duplicated with
about 30 lines of utility functions and without all of the massive
overengineering that seems so common in the Zope world (says the crazy
Twisted developer).

However, if someone really wants to take this end-to-end, I'm of
course not going to stand in his way. However, I would still encourage
not messing with the release stuff, apart from obvious cleanups and
conveniences, as it's now just settling down and becoming easy to do
releases with, and it's really turning out quite nice. Making the
release stuff support generation of eggs would be nice, but I'm not
keen on switching it over to the latest release management
super-package just yet.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |