twisted eggs (was Re: [Twisted-Python] Subproject releases)

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Wed Oct 12 10:36:27 EDT 2005

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Matt Goodall wrote:
>

>>Anyway, let's not let this descend into a setuptools vs <insert
>>favourite package manager> flame fest. Making eggs possible are just one
>>of many goals that may be helped by separating Twisted projects.
>

> It would also probably simplify the existing setup.py installations, but
> agreed: let's not conflate the two discussions.
>
> However, as long as we're talking about it... mg: What you did for Nevow
> would probably be a good idea; let's have a parallel setuptools_setup.py
> for a while before switching over to it.

Heh, strictly speaking the original setup.py was reverted and my
setup.py was moved out of the way to setup_egg.py.

But yes, a parallel setuptools setup.py would be the correct answer for now.

I might start scanning through the Twisted code to see what would need
to change to allow eggs. The obvious one is __file__ references but to
use namespace packages we'd need to clear everything out of
twisted.__init__.

If I get a chance, I'll post my findings back here.

> eggs are pretty awesome though, twisted.plugin should definitely have
> some way of integrating with them.  As far as dropin.cache goes, I have
> some weird ideas about a "path management object" that wrapped around
> sys.path and did things like determine if zipimport was being used at
> any point in any path, to give parallel directories to write cache data
> to, etc.  __file__ references can be replaced by
> get_resource_mumblemumble calls entirely, right?

pkg_resources has a couple of functions for locating a resource (file or
directory, i think) by name, from inside a package.

Obviously, you can't guarentee you can write to those resources though ;-)

- Matt

--
     __
    /  \__     Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
  __/  \__/    e: matt at pollenation.net
 /  \__/  \    t: +44 (0)113 2252500
 /  \          Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily
 \__/          reflect the views of my employer.