[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r15100 - So I really do want this stuff

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon Nov 14 17:27:28 EST 2005

On 15/11/05, Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 08:10 +1100, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>
> > If your test case (i.e. test method) uses attributes on self, the only
> > way to guarantee they'll be there is to define them in setUp --
> > whether in Trial or pyunit. If they aren't defined in setUp, then they
> > won't be there in pyunit, and they *might* be there in Trial -- it
> > will depend on the command line options. [Proofs attached].
>
> pyunit compatability should not be a goal for trial unless, as I've said
> before, you can get pyunit to support the reactor-running policy trial
> ought to have, i.e. more or less reactor.run() only once and
> reactor.stop() when all tests are done.

Sorry, it seems I gave the wrong emphasis. The thrust of my post was
intended to be this:

There is *only one* way to guarantee attributes of self for your test
case: Define them in setUp.
pyunit makes this explicit.  Trial makes it a matter of chance.  This
is a contrast, not a compatibility point.

Unit tests should be self-contained *units*.  They should be isolated
from one another, and they should be reproducable.  The order in which
tests are run should have no bearing on their success or failure.

jml