[Twisted-Python] Python 2.2 Support

Avleen Vig lists-twistedmatrix at silverwraith.com
Sat Nov 5 15:00:32 EST 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 02:05:54PM -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> >I consider this issue resolved, given the lack of response for people
> >wanting 2.2 support. The buildslave for 2.2 should be taken down and
> >Twisted trunk should be considered fair for 2.3-only features.
>
> Lack of interest in a change doesn't dictate that the change be made.
> I didn't hear anyone come out against the change _or_ for it.
> If it will help, I'll throw in against dropping 2.2 support.  Neither
> 2.3 nor 2.4 introduce any compelling new features.

The obvious question is what will we lose if we drop 2.2 support and
what will we gain?
My understanding is that datetime for python < 2.3 isn't perfect, and I
use datetime extensively.
2.3 lets you specify the a stride when you slice, universal readlines
mode when opening files is nice, you can pop() dicts.. in fact just read
this:

http://www.aleax.it/Python/pythonian.html

I thinkit would be nice to start using some of the features 2.3 and
newer support.