[Twisted-Python] Remove setupClass branch of trial - what is the motivation?

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Tue Nov 1 15:43:04 EST 2005

Same here, since I actually use setupClass and teardownClass quite a bit
in my own unit tests. To me, there doesn't seem to be to be a valid
reason for any plans to take away the flexibility of performing setup
for an entire TestCase, in addition to or instead of setup for each
individual test. (I use both.)

Below is a use case for setupClass and teardownClass that is about more
than just convenience, especially when more tests are added to the
class.

- Ed Suominen

class TestViews(TestCase):
    """
    Does the View widget permit display of multiple views with tabs as
    advertised?

    """
    def setUpClass(self):
        # Switch in our Mock Overview for testing
        self.oldOverview = view.Overview
        view.Overview = MockOverview
        # Start the clock for window display
        self.t1 = time()
        # Bring up the window
        gui = self.gui = Gui(640, 480)
        self.views = view.Views(gui)
        gui.setCentralWidget(self.views)
        gui.show()

    def tearDownClass(self):
        def wait():
            return time() - self.t1 < SHOW_INTERVAL

        # Let the window stay up for the full interval
        util.spinWhile(wait, 2*SHOW_INTERVAL)
        # Restore the real Overview object
        view.Overview = self.oldOverview

    def testNewTab(self):
        self.views.new(MockSecondView, 'Testing...')