[Twisted-Python] verbal violence humor (was: Evangelism notes...)

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri May 6 07:19:18 EDT 2005

One detail:

The social scene around Twisted currently features a lot of "verbal violence
humor".  This is very frequent on the IRC channel, and probably its
practitioners don't notice how often it occurs (because shared social customs
quickly become unnoticed by their practitioners).  In this e-mail thread,
someone wrote that people who say Twisted has no docs ought to be stabbed in the
face.  Obviously, this was intended as humor, but I believe that this social
custom, along with as other related social customs in Twistedland, deter people
from some other cultures from participating.

NB: I'm not saying it's "bad".  I'm not saying it's unfunny.  I'm not even
necessarily saying that you folks should try to change it -- maybe it works for
you and the "social exclusion" factor is not a big enough problem to warrant a
change.  All I'm saying is that verbal violence humor, interpersonal aggression
humor, and such customs limit the growth of your project by turning off people
from outside your own specific (sub-)culture.

Regards,

Zooko