[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Jeff Grimmett grimmtooth at gmail.com
Fri May 6 21:15:41 EDT 2005

On 5/6/05, Eugene Coetzee <projects at reedflute.com> wrote:

> Perhaps we disagree radically about the usefulness of having the source
> code,being able to read it, and the ablility to recompile and rebuild
> the framework yourself.

I find it very useful. But isn't that beside the point of the discussion? Is
Twisted or is it not a complete product? Why should I not expect the API to
be well documented?

Open source is not the reason for this. It provides, in this case, a
possible way around an obstacle, but at a terrible cost in wasted time,
multiplied by every person that uses the library. All those man-hours are
lost to some project, somewhere.

Twisted should not be considered a time sink. I find that distasteful. It's
a wonderful framework that has potential in everything I do these days. It
should not have this stigma attached to it.

> But the source code should not be a crutch to support incomplete
> > documentation - not if you want to go toe to toe with the big dogs.

I googled around with "networking framework" a few times in my life. Who
> are the "big dogs" when it comes to networking frameworks. In the past
> I wrote everything myself using raw C++ sockets, MFC or vanilla
> java.net <http://java.net>. I have also been bitten badly by the "big
> dogs" - having to
> dig through a MSDN "knowledge base" of thousands of "known bugs" before
> I finally discovered that it *could* be fixed with next release. I
> honestly cannot say that Twisted is outclassed in this area, at least I
> can fix the bugs myself.

Somewhere in this discussion I mentioned that perception is an important
factor here. It matters not if .NET or Java or Ruby have lesser abilities
than Twisted, not if potential developers are daunted by the perceived lack
of information and an obscure channel towards enlightenment. Heck, I'm
reading about "Rails" on PYTHON blogs, fercryinoutloud.
--

Best,

Jeff