[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu May 5 12:16:17 EDT 2005

On Thursday 05 May 2005 09:57, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> To respond to your question, glyph, the only thing I can imagine
> helping Twisted a significant amount right now is if some company
> employing a Twisted hacker would give that Twisted hacker half a day a
> week to *generally* maintain Twisted. Just those 4.5 focussed hours a
> week would help an amazing amount, I reckon. Not just working on the
> web site and docs, but the code as well, like fixing bugs in the
> tracker. Of course, most of those companies that employ us do pay us
> for developing certain contributions to Twisted, but that's not really
> benefitting the project as a whole, it's just benefitting very small
> niches within it.
>
> Unfortunately, all of the companies employing Twisted hackers (Divmod,
> Nunatak, ITA, and some others) are either too poor or don't care
> enough about Twisted to make that offer.

That's going to be a really hard thing to find. For instance, as far as I'm
aware, there's no-one being paid to work on Python - I spend a small amount
of work time on it, but certainly nowhere near half a day a week. (I
generally take a half day or day off when it comes to cutting a release).
If we can't find companies to fund work on Python (a much, much more
visible project, with a whole pile of companies relying on it) I don't hold
out much chance for someone funding Twisted as a whole.

Having said that, I *could* see people being able to justify time on various
Twisted subprojects because they need it for work.

And yes, trial needs to be dropped off a bridge.

Anthony