[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed May 4 18:14:08 EDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> That's why it's better if you don't install Twisted, just make its
>> source code part of your project.  That's what you should be doing
>> for just about any dependency, especially those where you don't need
>> extension modules.
>>

> Hmm, can't see that flying with our sysadmins, they want standard
> packages with minimal apps that use them (NetBSD developer).

Sysadmins be damned, the more self-contained an application is, the
less trouble you'll have debugging, developing, and upgrading it.
ESPECIALLY since Python can't reasonably do multiple-concurrent-
versions (effectively our own DLL hell).

>> Debugging with an audience?  What the hell were you thinking?  Don't
>> do that.
>>

> Pair programming *always* has an audience, in this particular case we
> just had the third programmer looking over our shoulder because we'd
> just been debating the merits of Twisted and he wanted to see how it
> compared to his own experiences with Twisted.  Going back to my
> "cubicle" (actually apartment) would have involved making the pair
> programming remote (which is common in our company), the difference
> being that I could do the looking up/spelunking *before* I called over
> to start work ;) .

The way you said it kind of implied that more than 2 people were
present, and that these were non-programmers.

-bob