[Twisted-Python] Evangelism notes...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 4 17:55:04 EDT 2005

Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

>>  - Do not ever, ever use IRC in a public forum
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i.e. when YOU are in a public forum, like in front of the rest of your
company :).

> Um, I hope you're joking.  Do not *ever* use a public support mechanism
> without a paid relationship?  So is everyone on IRC paid up?
> If that was intended more as a "who do you think you are, you've not
> paid us anything", okay, accepted.
> We've (and I've) *tried* to contribute back to the Twisted community
> with introductory lectures at PyGTA, various pieces of documentation and
> releasing TwistedSNMP, but it's perfectly true that we've made no
> monetary arrangements

No no, you misunderstand!  Your contributions have been substantial, and
I didn't mean to impugn them.  I don't mean, "don't use IRC" or "you've
got no right", I mean, you are likely to get flak, humor, or random
people being rude to you for no reason as you are to get support.  This
can get you in trouble in a meeting.

#twisted is like a bunch of mechanics and automotive engineers (and
various hangers-on) hanging around in a garage.  It's not a slum, but it
is a garage, there are going to be parts lying all over the place and
people are informal.  Going to IRC with the president of your company
watching your screen is like inviting your auto mechanic and his
girlfriend into your boss's limousine to discuss the company's car
purchasing plans for the next year.

> Seriously, I didn't even think of asking in IRC, it was suggested by
> another colleague between stifling guffaws... maybe he was out to get me
> by tricking me into exactly this folly ;) .

Hmm... sounds like maybe he was...