[Twisted-Python] Synchronous Wrapper for Deferreds

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Sat Mar 19 00:13:22 EST 2005

A day or two ago, I inquired on IRC about making calls from an existing
synchronous script. The script is not related to any Twisted activity,
so minimal intervention was sort of a goal. Obviously this doesn't work
on non-transient objects such as Perspective Broker ones, but here's
what I came up with... (See attached) Obviously there is some cleaning
up to do, but it demonstrates the idea.

I have three questions: (1) I know this isn't the ideal way to use
Twisted, but is there anything inherently problematic about my solution
for one-off calls to Twisted. (2) I understand there are problems with
running the same reactor twice. What are those problems and is there a
recommended work around? (3) Are there any ideas on making a synchronous
version of a Perspective Broker client to integrate into existing
synchronous applications more easily?

Thanks
-Ken