[Twisted-Python] help with InsecureJelly for unkown objects inclasses--solution

Ben Olsen bolsen at verio.net
Thu Mar 17 15:03:43 EST 2005

Thanks Jp, someone else had that suggestion too, and it ended up working
just fine. Using getStateToCopy and setCopyableState, I can convert a
pygame.Rect to a tuple before sending, then convert it back when
receiving. For those curious, the class looks something like this:

class GameState(pb.Copyable, pb.RemoteCopy):
    def __init__(self, id):
        ... define various game state properties ...
        self.ball = Rect([0,0,32,32])

    def getStateToCopy(self):
        ret = self.__dict__.copy()
        del ret['ball']
        ret['balltuple'] = (self.ball.x, self.ball.y, self.ball.w,
self.ball.h)
        return ret

    def setCopyableState(self, state):
        self.ball = Rect(state['balltuple'])
        return self.__dict__

This class is inherited on both server and client. This makes passing
the pygame.Rect transparent, so no work is required on either the server
or client side.

Ben