[Twisted-Python] Twisted 2.0 prerelease (close!!)

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Mar 10 16:14:52 EST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 1:35 AM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> In fact I believe this situation can and does happen: if the other
> side of the connection suddenly and totally goes away (and is also
> filtering all ICMP including port-unreachable), the connection will
> hang forever.
>
> This looks like another use-case for a 'killConnection' method...

No, you've got the situation backwards. The situation doesn't involve
any hanging, it involves possible data loss of the last packet. We will
make a single attempt to do the final write (via calling SSL_shutdown),
and if it fails to write because of some transient error, we have no
way to know, so we close the connection anyways, even though we
should've retried.

James