[Twisted-Python] Anyone have any code or links to code related to using ZeroConf / Rendezous with Twisted?

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Fri Mar 4 19:19:09 EST 2005

On 5 Mar 2005, at 09:31, jarrod roberson wrote:
> What I have found on google is lots of talk no implemenation, and the
> little implementation that is talked about is a dead link :-(

Yeah, that'd be me. I sort of wrote half an mDNS responder, posted it
to the list, and got little to no feedback or interest.

I forget where I uploaded it last time, but for now, I've uploaded it
again:

	http://members.optusnet.com.au/thristian/mDNS-0.5.tar.gz

> I wanted to make sure I was not re-inventing the wheel before I start
> on this myself.

The main reason I gave up and moved on was that I didn't have any real
*need* for a ZeroConf implementation, I just thought it'd be neat to
write. The second reason I gave up was that apparently only one process
on a host can bind to a multicast UDP socket at a time, which means
only one ZeroConf implementation per machine. Since I don't have easy
access to any Linux boxes at the moment and my main home PC is a Mac
G5, that makes development rather difficult.

The Right Solution, as far as I can see, would be to take Apple's
ZeroConf implementation (Available for Linux under the Apple Public
Source License), give it a pretty Python wrapper, and somehow integrate
that with Twisted. That gives your application an extra dependency, but
as ZeroConf gets more popular, your app becomes *less* likely to break,
instead of *more*.