[Twisted-Python] timeout and retries

Stefano Canepa sc at linux.it
Sat Jun 18 16:11:46 EDT 2005

Il giorno sab, 18/06/2005 alle 20.34 +1000, Andrew Bennetts ha scritto:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:41:17PM +0200, Stefano Canepa wrote:
> > The following code is a try to write a protocol with timeout and
> > retries. The connectioMade is used only as a test. I have some problems:
> > 1) even if I placed "\x01" as delimiter the line is sent not terminated
> [...]
> >     def sendLine(self, msg):
> >         """
> >         Add <SB> (\x01 i.e. SOH) at the start of message as required by
> >         HL7 standard and send the message
> >         """
> >         msgToSend = "\x01"+msg
> >         print msgToSend
> >         self.transport.write(msgToSend)
> >         print "written"
>
> You've overridden LineReceiver's sendLine to ignore the delimiter attribute.

Thanks I was able to find this error by my own. Thanks.

> > 2) even if timeout expired 3 times the success callback is called
> [...]
> >         d = defer.Deferred()
> >         d.addErrback(self.tooManyRetries)
> >         d.addCallback(self.success)
>
> Read the description of how callback/errback chains work again:
>
>     http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/defer.html#auto2
>
> You probably meant:
>
>         d = defer.Deferred()
>         d.addCallbacks(self.success, self.tooManyRetries)
>
> Which has a subtly different meaning.

Now I see the difference, I am really new to twisted and even if I read
the howto and all docs I found on twisted site I need to read all again
to understand better.

Thanks
Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc at linux.it  http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.