[Twisted-Python] Using twisted.conch.recvline

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Jun 2 02:04:26 EDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 12:44 AM, Abe Fettig wrote:
> But there's a problem, both in my code and in demo_recvline.py:
> when you
> get to the bottom of the terminal it doesn't scroll. All the lines
> just
> get pasted over each other on the bottom line of the terminal. I'm
> clueless about terminal programming: generally I just know that I can
> dump a bunch of text and the terminal will scroll. But now it doesn't.
> Can you help me fix this?

I know way too much about terminal programming, and can immediately
identify the problem as the use of "ESC E". Never ever use ESC E,
it's worthless. While I'm at it: never use ESC D, and really try not
to use ESC M either. They're all mostly unused and people who don't
care about correctness, only "working for unix termcap" don't bother
implementing them right. Use instead \r\n, \n, and ESC[A (not quite
the same thing, as it doesn't do a backwards scroll, but if you think
backwards scrolling is going to work, I've got this bridge to sell
you...).

Anyhow, could you say which horribly broken terminal program you're
using? I like to keep track of these things. From what I can tell,
the authors of most of the terminal emulators out there must have
never even bothered to read the documentation for the terminals they
claim to emulate...

James