[Twisted-Python] PB checkers bug?

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jul 28 01:09:33 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:22:50 -0700, Steve Freitas <sflist at ihonk.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I didn't get a reply to my earlier post about inventing mad crazy
>checkers, so I decided to just use the IUsernamePassword interface, but
>I'm stuck, because it appears PB won't allow me to use only that
>interface. If I try, it dies like this:

PBClientFactory's login method is a rotten lie.  It /does not/ take an IUsernamePassword credentials objects, nor does it log in with the server using an IUsernamePassword credentials object.  It takes an object with a username attribute and a password attribute, and logs in with an IUsernameHashedPassword.  Your credentials checker /must/ support checking the latter interface.

If you want to support some other authentication backend which is incapable of checking IUsernameHashedPassword credentials, you may need to implement an alternate login scheme for PB.  This is not difficult, but consider carefully whether you actually need it or not (because writing crypto code is always risky).

Jp