[Twisted-Python] Understanding the IOCP reactor and adding spawnProcess

Pavel Pergamenshchik pp64 at codelock.com
Mon Jul 11 16:49:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:52:14 -0500
Justin Johnson <justinjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to add spawnProcess to iocpreactor. In order to begin
this
> task I've had to do a lot of reading on Windows network programming,
> specifically the various Windows I/O methods, to attempt to understand
what
> win32eventreactor and iocpreactor are doing, and also just increase my

> understanding of how reactors work in general. To understand the
various
> Winsock 2 methods that both of these reactors rely upon, I read
chapters 1-5
> of Network Programming for Microsoft Windows[1].
>  Before actually attempting to add spawnProcess, I would like to
present how
> I think iocpreactor works and how I think I should add spawnProcess,
and
> hopefully be corrected or confirmed in my understanding. If I'm too
vague
> there's a good chance it's because I don't understand it very well.
Please
> feel free to point out things that you might think are obvious but
aren't
> sure I understand.
>  How iocpreactor works
> ---------------------------------
>
>    1. Create an IO Completion Port.
>    2. Create a socket and associate it with the IOCP. This is the
socket
>    we will call AcceptEx (a non-blocking accept) on. The association
with the
>    IOCP is made via CreateIoCompletionPort.
>    3. Setup any scheduled tasks on the reactor.
>    4. Call AcceptEx (which doesn't block) on the socket. AcceptEx
takes
>    an overlapped structure as a parameter. Before making the call, we
set two
>    attributes of the struct: the callback and callback_args which will
be
>    called when an accept event completes on the socket. The Winsock 2
methods
>    don't actually call the callback. The Winsock 2 methods handle
copying data
>    related to the network event that occurred on the socket into the
overlapped
>    structure and making that overlapped structure available to
>    GetQueuedCompletionStatus. So when we handle events on sockets via
>    GetQueuedCompletionStatus from within doIteration, we have access
to the
>    data related to the event as well as the callback and callback_args
we call
>    to handle that event. The callbacks are setup in the xxxOp classes
in
>    ops.py and always result in some transport method getting called
(such
>    as readDone, connectionDone, etc).
>    5. From within doIteration, call GetQueuedCompletionStatus (which
does
>    block) with a timeout of the time until the next scheduled task
needs to be
>    run. If any event occurs on the sockets currently associated with
the IOCP
>    before that time expires, GetQueuedCompletionStatus will return
(stop
>    blocking). Now we have access to the overlapped structure
containing data
>    associated with the event which was copied into the overlapped
structure's
>    buffer, such as data received from WSARecv calls, as well as the
callback
>    and callback_args. From within doIteration we call the callbacks
passing in
>    the data related to the event. Depending on the events we are
handling, we
>    may create new sockets (e.g. end point sockets in TCP connections)
and
>    associate them with the IOCP as well. All Winsock 2 API calls made
are
>    non-blocking accept for GetQueuedCompletionStatus.
>    6. Step 5 continues until the reactor stops.

This sounds about right. Note how this is different from the usual
reactor thing -- iocp notifies you when the operation is _finished_,
not when it can success without blocking.

>   How to add spawnProcess
> ---------------------------------------
>
>    1. Create the processes via Windows APIs and associate their
>    stdout/err with with the IOCP via CreateIoCompletionPort calls.
>    2. Close stdin.
>    3. Notify the ProcessProtocol via protocol.makeConnection (not sure

>    why, looking at win32eventreactor)
>    4. Receive data from stdout/err via the completion port by calling
>    GetQueuedCompletionStatus from within doIteration. Is this really
possible?
>    ProcessProtocol's methods won't get called appropriately by letting
the
>    existing callbacks in ops.py make calls to the transport (e.g.
>    connectionDone, readDone)?

Hrm. Not quite. In iocp, you always have a read call pending
(ReadFileEx, for stdout/err handles). When it completes, you get a
notification in GetQueuedCompletionStatus, pass the data to your
Protocol and schedule the read again.
Do that for stdout and stderr.
ops.py already has a wrapper for ReadFile, but it always calls readDone
and readErr on your transport. You'll need to fix that.