[Twisted-Python] Understanding the IOCP reactor and adding spawnProcess

Justin Johnson justinjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:52:14 EDT 2005

I am attempting to add spawnProcess to iocpreactor. In order to begin this
task I've had to do a lot of reading on Windows network programming,
specifically the various Windows I/O methods, to attempt to understand what
win32eventreactor and iocpreactor are doing, and also just increase my
understanding of how reactors work in general. To understand the various
Winsock 2 methods that both of these reactors rely upon, I read chapters 1-5
of Network Programming for Microsoft Windows[1].
 Before actually attempting to add spawnProcess, I would like to present how
I think iocpreactor works and how I think I should add spawnProcess, and
hopefully be corrected or confirmed in my understanding. If I'm too vague
there's a good chance it's because I don't understand it very well. Please
feel free to point out things that you might think are obvious but aren't
sure I understand.
 How iocpreactor works
---------------------------------

   1. Create an IO Completion Port.
   2. Create a socket and associate it with the IOCP. This is the socket
   we will call AcceptEx (a non-blocking accept) on. The association with the
   IOCP is made via CreateIoCompletionPort.
   3. Setup any scheduled tasks on the reactor.
   4. Call AcceptEx (which doesn't block) on the socket. AcceptEx takes
   an overlapped structure as a parameter. Before making the call, we set two
   attributes of the struct: the callback and callback_args which will be
   called when an accept event completes on the socket. The Winsock 2 methods
   don't actually call the callback. The Winsock 2 methods handle copying data
   related to the network event that occurred on the socket into the overlapped
   structure and making that overlapped structure available to
   GetQueuedCompletionStatus. So when we handle events on sockets via
   GetQueuedCompletionStatus from within doIteration, we have access to the
   data related to the event as well as the callback and callback_args we call
   to handle that event. The callbacks are setup in the xxxOp classes in
   ops.py and always result in some transport method getting called (such
   as readDone, connectionDone, etc).
   5. From within doIteration, call GetQueuedCompletionStatus (which does
   block) with a timeout of the time until the next scheduled task needs to be
   run. If any event occurs on the sockets currently associated with the IOCP
   before that time expires, GetQueuedCompletionStatus will return (stop
   blocking). Now we have access to the overlapped structure containing data
   associated with the event which was copied into the overlapped structure's
   buffer, such as data received from WSARecv calls, as well as the callback
   and callback_args. From within doIteration we call the callbacks passing in
   the data related to the event. Depending on the events we are handling, we
   may create new sockets (e.g. end point sockets in TCP connections) and
   associate them with the IOCP as well. All Winsock 2 API calls made are
   non-blocking accept for GetQueuedCompletionStatus.
   6. Step 5 continues until the reactor stops.

  How to add spawnProcess
---------------------------------------

   1. Create the processes via Windows APIs and associate their
   stdout/err with with the IOCP via CreateIoCompletionPort calls.
   2. Close stdin.
   3. Notify the ProcessProtocol via protocol.makeConnection (not sure
   why, looking at win32eventreactor)
   4. Receive data from stdout/err via the completion port by calling
   GetQueuedCompletionStatus from within doIteration. Is this really possible?
   ProcessProtocol's methods won't get called appropriately by letting the
   existing callbacks in ops.py make calls to the transport (e.g.
   connectionDone, readDone)?

  Thanks for your help.
Justin
 [1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735615799