[Twisted-Python] Twisted communication with embedded C thread

Tom Cocagne tom.cocagne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:48:57 EDT 2005

   Greetings all,

    I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good way to go
about setting up a message-passing communication channel between one
or more C threads and a single thread dedicated to running
Python/Twisted. I already have functional Python bindings accessing
the contents of the messages (basically C structures) but need some
way to exchange the messages between the C threads and the Python

    All I really need is a means by which to inform Twisted's reactor
that a C thread has sent a message.  My original plan was to use a
pair of pipes (via os.pipe()) to send pointers back and forth but it
didn't seem to work on Windows . I'm pretty sure this will work fine
for posix systems but it definitely didn't work on my first attempt
with Windows (though the problem may have been due to my library

    I would imagine that something along these lines has been done
before. Does anyone know of an existing approach or have suggestions
for a better solution?

    Extra Details:
      I'm using Python 2.4.1, Twisted 2.0, and GLib 2.6