[Twisted-Python] File Transfer/BitTorrent

Thomas HERVE therve at free.fr
Wed Jul 6 04:18:23 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of threads talking around my problem but haven't found what I
was looking for.

My need : I want to have a file transfer application, with the following
functionnalities (for now) :
- Transfer from 1 to N
- Integrity control
- Failover/Resume
- Handle big files (up to 5Gb)
- Strong authentication/encryption (with client certificates)
- Automatic actions when upload/download finished

FTP is not really a possibility (mainly because of the nasty network
configuration it needs).

My first thought was : hey, it looks like BitTorrent could fit my needs, just a
little SSL could make it. Unfortunately, after some tests, I realized that the
reference implementation of BitTorrent is really messy : plugging a SSL part is
a challenge, resulting in something not so great. BitTornado is cleaner, but
also lacks documentation (yes, more than twisted !).

So why not implement BitTorrent with Twisted ? It could be something great for
the Twisted visibility. But as I don't care about BitTorrent compatibility, it
might be better to start a new protocol from scratch.

So :

1) Is there some people interested in BitTorrent client/server with Twisted ?

2) If not, does a draft/standard exist of good file transfer protocol, that
could be done with Twisted ?

Thanks for your opinions,

--
Thomas