[Twisted-Python] resolution failure after upgrade to twisted 2.0

Paul Pelzl pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu
Tue Jul 5 21:27:57 EDT 2005

Hello,

I maintain a wxPython application that uses Twisted for the networking
back-end.  After upgrading from Twisted 1.3 to 2.0, the application
fails to connect to a given hostname (e.g. "localhost"), although
everything works fine if an explicit IP address is provided.  My
application runs the Twisted loop by polling with a timer, like so:

class MyApp(wxApp):

   def OnInit(self):
      EVT_TIMER(self, TIMERID, self.OnTimer)
      self.timer = wxTimer(self, TIMERID)
      self.timer.Start(250, False)

   def OnTimer(self, event):
      reactor.runUntilCurrent()
      reactor.doIteration(0)

   def connect(self, event=None):
      reactor.connectTCP(hostname, portNum, MyClientFactory())

reactor.startRunning()
app = MyApp(0)
app.MainLoop()

Any idea what's going on here?  I suspect this guy is dealing with a
related issue:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/1f0be1d57dfafe1c/2d84c0bc9cd4e4f6

Paul