[Twisted-Python] Event queue in the Python std lib

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 16:01:53 EDT 2005

James Y Knight wrote:
> I would suggest instead that python should distribute a selected set  of
> "recommended extras" as part of the installer, which would  basically be
> complete 3rd party packages, included just for  convenience. Twisted
> core would make a good package to include there,  as would many others.

I agree with James's position:  Twisted should be one of a number
of Python "recommended extras" (I also agree with Glyph and Itamar
that asyncore should be deprecated).

IMO, that approach accomplishes everything that could be hoped
for by incorporating a reactor-like event loop in the std library:
(1) makes Twisted more visible to anyone looking for a "simple,
flexible event loop", and (equally important) add the context of
the deferred api and some well-tested goodies with asynchronous
api's (like adbapi) and (2) does not create any gratuitous wrinkles
(like a potential stdlib fork) for the current well-oiled Twisted
development machine's minions to have to deal with.  ;)

Bob's point about "credibility" is well-taken, but I think having
Twisted designated as an official Python "recommended extra"
would accomplish that as well.

Cheers,
Steve