[Twisted-Python] Event queue in the Python std lib

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Fri Jul 1 14:55:53 EDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 5:56 AM, Matt Goodall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know some of you guys have already thinking about this but ...
>
> A couple of weeks ago we had a bit of a chat (flame? ;-)) in
> #twisted about the idea of moving parts of Twisted, specifically
> the event loop, into the std lib. So, at Europython I had a quick
> chat with GvR about it too.
>
> GvR would really, really like to get a simple, flexible event loop
> into the std lib and thinks that Twisted is likely the best
> starting point since Twisted probably integrates with more event
> driven toolkits than anything else.
>
> Obviously, having the event loop part in the std lib has a number
> of benefits but it should also put pressure on all event driven
> toolkits to conform to the common API. Everything would then work
> together and the world would be a happier, shinier place ;-).
>
> GvR suggested that someone should start a PEP to talk around, which
> seems like a sensible thing to do, although I don't know if anyone
> with enough knowledge of the reactor and working with other event
> loops has time right now.

I think adding a subset of Twisted to the python stdlib would be a
disservice to both the stdlib users and Twisted users, especially now
that Python is on the cusp of having an easy way to distribute, find,
and install 3rd party packages automatically. Saying that Twisted
should be a "starting point" bothers me especially, as that seems to
indicate that the two will diverge over time. That is worrisome. Who
is going to maintain the stdlib fork?

I would suggest instead that python should distribute a selected set
of "recommended extras" as part of the installer, which would
basically be complete 3rd party packages, included just for
convenience. Twisted core would make a good package to include there,
as would many others.

James