[Twisted-Python] Event queue in the Python std lib

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Fri Jul 1 05:56:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

I know some of you guys have already thinking about this but ...

A couple of weeks ago we had a bit of a chat (flame? ;-)) in #twisted
about the idea of moving parts of Twisted, specifically the event loop,
into the std lib. So, at Europython I had a quick chat with GvR about it
too.

GvR would really, really like to get a simple, flexible event loop into
the std lib and thinks that Twisted is likely the best starting point
since Twisted probably integrates with more event driven toolkits than
anything else.

Obviously, having the event loop part in the std lib has a number of
benefits but it should also put pressure on all event driven toolkits to
conform to the common API. Everything would then work together and the
world would be a happier, shinier place ;-).

GvR suggested that someone should start a PEP to talk around, which
seems like a sensible thing to do, although I don't know if anyone with
enough knowledge of the reactor and working with other event loops has
time right now.

Cheers, Matt

--
      __
     /  \__     Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
   __/  \__/    e: matt at pollenation.net
  /  \__/  \    t: +44 (0)113 2252500
  /  \          Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily
  \__/          reflect the views of my employer.