[Twisted-Python] Re: socket is not closed when connection failed

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Feb 17 18:37:31 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:40:56 -0500, Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 21:00 +0800, Tsai Li Ming wrote:
>
> > How serious is this bug? I'm particularly concern about twisted.web.server.
>
> 1. Servers don't open connections, so it's not relevant there.
>
> 2. It probably does not cause fd leaks, since python's gc will likely do
> that. close()ing explicitly is better, obviously.

  As a rough figure, with a max file descriptors limit of 1024, on Python 2.3.5,
this tends not to be a problem with connection rates below 100 failed
connections per second.  The file descriptors are eventually closed by the
Python GC, it just takes a little while since the sockets are part of cyclic
garbage.

  Jp